Do you love getting take-out over the holiday season? We do too! However, some take-out items may be filled with things such as high levels of sodium, artificial ingredients, added sugar and other chemicals and ingredients that we try to avoid as much as possible. We have the perfect solution for you with this easy and flavorful recipe!
This delicious take-out inspired dish is perfect for a cozy night at home this New Years Eve! Our orange chickpea chow mein is packed with plant-based protein, noodles, veggies and a delicious orange sauce thanks to Limoneira oranges.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF INGREDIENTS
Snow peas are rich in antioxidants and contain 100% of your Daily Value of vitamin C, 34% of vitamin A and 24% of vitamin K. Vitamin C is essential for immune health, skin health and even helps with reducing the risk of heart disease.
This incredible root veggie is packed with vitamins and minerals such as beta-carotene, biotin, vitamin K, potassium and vitamin B6. Beta-carotene is converted to vitamin A in the body. This supports eye health, vision and reduces the risk of eye disease.
Broccoli is loaded with amazing nutrients such as vitamin K, vitamin C and other powerful antioxidants. One of these antioxidants is called sulforaphane. Sulforaphane may help reduce the risk of diseases such as cancer and heart disease. The vitamin K found in broccoli is important for blood clotting and wound healing.
If you make this Chow Mein, please share a photo on Instagram and tag me @HealthyGroceryGirl so I can easily find and like your creations! It’s so fun to connect with you and see what recipes you’re enjoying.
For more HGG recipe ideas you can also visit the HGG YouTube channel here!
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 1 tablespoon Limoneira orange zest
- 4 cups noodles of choice
- 2 cups snow peas
- 1 cup carrot chips
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- ½ cup cashews
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon white sesame seeds
- Orange sauce
- ½ cup Limoneira orange juice
- 2 tablespoons real maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon sriracha
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons liquid aminos (or soy sauce)
- 1 teaspoon arrowroot powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- In a small saucepan, add all the orange sauce ingredients and whisk to combine. Let sauce simmer for 3 minutes to heat up and thicken.
- Add the chickpeas and orange zest into the orange sauce and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Cook noodles according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large sauté pan over medium heat, add your sesame oil, snow peas, carrots, broccoli and cashews. Sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add in your ginger and garlic and sauté for 3 more minutes.
- Add in cooked noodles and orange sauce chickpeas. Stir to combine to cook for 5 more minutes.
- Serve in bowls and top with sesame seeds!
If you love this recipe, see below for more easy & delicious noodle recipes! As always all Healthy Grocery Girl recipes are gluten-free, dairy-free and predominately plant-based.
TURMERIC NOODLE SOUP
SWEET POTATO NOODLES WITH SPICY PEANUT BUTTER SAUCE
COCONUT LEMONGRASS NOODLE SOUP
This video was created for the Limoneira YouTube Channel! Megan Roosevelt, RDN is the Spokesperson for Limoneira. To see all our tips & videos makes sure to visit & subscribe to the Limoneira YouTube Channel!