Orange Curry Shrimp
- 2 large oranges zest & juice
- 1 pound large shrimp peeled & deveined
- 4 shallots thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons neutral oil
- 1 cup ripe plum tomatoes diced
- 1 can coconut milk 12 ounces
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro chopped
- Zest and juice the oranges.
- Take half the zest and juice, Cayenne pepper, 1 teaspoon curry powder, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Combine in a small bowl and stir to blend.
- Add the washed shrimp, and toss to coat evenly.
- Allow the shrimp to marinade for about 20 minutes.
- When the shrimp are ready, discard any remaining marinade. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet. Sauté the shrimp quickly, about 1 to 2 minutes per side, and then set aside.
- Add the rest of the oil, and the shallots. Sauté for about 2 minutes, and then add the garlic and ginger, stirring frequently, until fragrant or about another 5 minutes.
- Add all the remaining spices and orange zest, and cook for about 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, and continue to cook over a medium to medium-high setting, stirring constantly, until the mixture is fragrant, and the tomatoes are starting to soften, or about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in the orange juice as the mixture simmers, and then add the coconut milk.
- Bring to a boil, and simmer, bubbling, for about 10 minutes. The liquid should thicken.
- Lower the heat to medium, and add the shrimp, cooking for another 2 minutes or so, until they are fully cooked.
- Serve over rice, and garnish with chopped cilantro.