Orange Slow Cooker Pulled Pork (Carnitas Mexican-Style)
- 5 pounds pork shoulder
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 2 oranges zest & juice
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon stone-ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 large sweet onion chopped
- 1 bell pepper deseeded, cut into strips
- 1 jalapeno deseeded, chopped
- Sprinkle the pork with salt and pepper all over, to taste.
- Combine the garlic, orange zest, mustard, oregano and cumin in a small bowl. Combine well.
- Place the pork in the slow cooker, fat side up, rubbing some of the spice/mustard mixture over the bottom.
- Rub the rest of the mustard and spice mix over the pork.
- Sprinkle the onions and peppers all over the meat.
- Pour the orange juice over everything.
- Set the cooker to a low temperature, and cook for 10 hours, turning 3 or 4 times over that period. You can also set it on high for about 7 hours.
- When it’s done, the pork will be tender enough to shred.