Orange Spiced Rice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 shallots finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger minced
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 5 oranges zest & juice
- 2/3 cup vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup basmati rice uncooked
- 2 sprigs flat leaf parsley chopped
- Rinse the rice thoroughly with cold water until it runs clean. Set it aside to drain as you prepare the spice base.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large saucepan, and sauté the shallots for 3 to 5 minutes until they are fragrant.
- Add the garlic, ginger, turmeric, paprika and half the orange zest, and continue to cook for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the last tablespoon of oil to the saucepan, and turn the heat to medium high.
- Add the rice to the pan, and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly – but gently. It should have a kind of toasty aroma.
- Add the orange juice, the remaining orange zest, vegetable stock and salt, and stir to blend the shallot mixture with the rice.
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes until the rice is tender. Check once or twice to make sure it doesn’t boil dry. If so, add a little more vegetable stock or water.
- Remove from the heat, and let the saucepan stand, covered, for about 5 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork, blend in the chopped parsley, and serve.