Turkey Lemon Chowder with Corn & Bacon
- 4 ears corn on the cob
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups water
- 1 lemon zest & juice
- 1 sprig fresh parsley
- 1 sprig fresh dill
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 2 large potatoes peeled, diced into 1/2" chunks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 slices bacon chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 onions chopped
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cups turkey diced
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Use a sharp knife to scrape off the kernels of corn into a bowl.
- Tie the sprigs of parsley, dill, and thyme together.
- Add the kernels of corn, potato cubes, and herb bundle to a large pot, along with the stock, lemon juice and zest, and water.
- Cover, and bring to a low boil. Allow it to simmer for about 20 minutes in total. When it is ready, discard the herb bundle.
- In a second pot, add the olive oil, and cook the bacon until it begins to crisp. Add the onions and garlic, and cook until fragrant, about 10 minutes in total.
- Add the flour, and whisk together to blend with all that is in the second pot.
- Now, take about two cups of the chicken stock that you have cooked the corn in, and blend it slowly with the bacon mixture in the other pot. It should begin to thicken,
- Add the corn and the remaining chicken/corn stock, stirring as you do.
- When it is thoroughly blended, add the turkey, and stir to warm.
- Add the heavy cream last, just before serving, and season with salt and pepper.