Lemon and Black Pepper Quiche
For the pie crust
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup ice water
For the quiche
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 large eggs plus 2 large egg yolks
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup creme fraiche
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper divided
- 3/4 cup loosely packed shredded mozzarella
- 3/4 cup finely grated fresh Parmesan
- 1 slice paper-thinof lemon for decoration
- Stir the flour, sugar, and salt together in a bowl.
- Cut the butter into the flour using two knives, or a food processor at a pulse setting.
- Continue to break it down until the mixture is crumbly and clumps are pea-sized.
- Add the ice water little by little until the dough sticks together as a ball – not too sticky, and not too dry.
- Flatten the dough into a disk and refrigerate, covered, for about 1 hour.
- Prepare a 9-inch quiche or tart pan.
- Roll the chilled dough to about an 11-inch circle on a floured surface. If you don’t have a rolling pin, you can use a glass.
- Place the dough into the pan and press carefully against the bottom and along the sides. If the dough is getting too warm, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for another hour.
- When it’s ready, heat oven to 375F.
- Prick the bottom and sides of the crust lightly. Bake 25 to 35 minutes, until puffed and golden brown.
- Add the flour, eggs and egg yolks to a large bowl. Whisk together until thoroughly combined.
- In another bowl, mix the half and half, creme fraiche, and lemon juice until thoroughly combined.
- Add the cream mixture gradually to the egg mixture, stirring gently until thoroughly combined.
- Now add the lemon zest, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella over the crust. Then, sprinkle the Parmesan over the mozzarella.
- Now pour the egg mixture on top of the cheese.
- Place the quiche or tart dish on a baking sheet to catch spills, and bake in the oven for about 25 to 30 minutes, or until set.
- Remove from the oven and cool before cutting.