Korean-Style Lemon Tea
- 5 lemons
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 cup honey
- 1-3 teaspoons syrup to taste
- 1 cup hot water
- Use a pinch of baking soda and cold water to scrub the lemons clean. You will be using the peel as well as the fruit, so this is important.
- Make sure you boil your jars and seals well beforehand, so that they are fully dried before you begin. Lingering moisture around the seal area can cause mould.
- Slice the lemons as thinly as you can discarding all the seeds as you go along.
- Mix the lemon slices and sugar gently in a large bowl, taking care to coat all side.
- Pour the lemons into a clean glass jar with an airtight lid. Spoon in any sugar/juice left in the bowl.
- Mix the honey and water in a small saucepan and heat slightly, stirring until just dissolved.
- Remove from heat, and pour into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the lemon slices, and stir to coat evenly.
- Pour a little honey into the bottom of the jar.
- Add about a third of the lemon slices.
- Pour over the honey to cover.
- Repeat until the jar is full.
- Seal the jar. Store in a dark area at room temperature for one day, turning the jar about halfway through the day.
- Refrigerate and store another two days, turning at least once per day.
- Dissolve one to three teaspoons of the syrup in 1 cup of hot water and stir.