Blood Orange & Avocado Bruschetta
- 1 fresh baguette
- 2 avocados
- 2 blood oranges
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Cut the baguette into slices.
- Using a sharp knife or vegetable peeler, cut the zest (i.e. the red/orange colored part only of the peel) from the orange. Slice the zest into strips, and then chop.
- Peel as much of the white pitch from the oranges as you can.
- Segment the fruit by cutting in between the membranes to release the flesh of each segment.
- Squeeze any remaining juice from the membranes into a separate bowl, and then discard the membranes.
- Add the garlic, olive oil, salt, and pepper to the bowl with the orange juice and blend.
- Peel and seed the avocados, and mash the flesh. Add to the garlic mixture and blend well.
- You can toast the baguette slices in the oven for 2 to 3 minutes, or use them fresh.
- Spread each slice with the avocado mixture, then top with a segment of blood orange.