Blood Orange Candied Carrots
- 1 pound carrots
- 2 shallots thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 Limoneira® Moro blood oranges juice only & zest of 1
- 5 tablespoons maple syrup
- Pinch sea salt
- 1 sprig fresh thyme chopped
- Cut the carrots in half lengthwise, and then into smaller pieces 1-2 inches long.
- Melt the butter in a skillet, and sauté the shallots for 1 or 2 minutes.
- Add the carrots in a single layer, and sprinkle with the salt. Continue to cook for another 3 to 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the blood orange juice and maple syrup, stirring to combine.
- Pour the juice/syrup mixture on top of the carrots.
- Cover the skillet, and cook for about 15 minutes. Stir occasionally. The glaze will reduce, so keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn’t start to scorch. You may have to turn the heat down.
- Remove the lid, and continue to cook for another 5 minutes or so, until the carrots are tender. The carrots should be completely coated in the glaze.
- Add the fresh thyme last, top with zest of 1 blood orange, and serve.