Braised Lamb Shanks With Lemon, Rosemary & Thyme
- 4 lamb shanks about 4 1/2 pounds
- Kosher salt to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2/3 cup chicken broth
- 1 lemon zest & juice
- 2 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over the lamb shanks, and dust with the flour.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet at a medium-high setting. Cook the lamb shanks until browned on all sides, or about 10 minutes.
- Transfer the lamb shanks to a large roasting pan.
- Add the broth, lemon zest and juice, garlic, and herbs to a bowl or pitcher and mix together. Pour the seasoning over the lamb shanks.
- Seal the roasting pan with foil, and braise in the oven for about 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove the foil, and roast for another 30 minutes, or until tender and browned.