Brown Sugar Lemon Mascarpone Muffins
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup loosely packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 lemons zested
- 8 ounces cold Mascarpone cheese
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter melted and cooled
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with liners.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, soda and salt. Stir to combine. Mix in lemon zest. Add mascarpone cheese and mix in with a fork, stirring until crumbly, evenly dispersed and covered in flour. In a small bowl, whisk together milk, yogurt, egg, vanilla extract and butter. Add the wet ingredients to the dry, stirring until just combined and wet.
- Use a 1/4 cup measure or ice cream scoop to fill the muffin liners 2/3 of the wall full. Bake for 15-17 minutes, until tops are set and golden. Remove and let cool slightly before serving.