Candied Blood Orange Slices
- 2 blood oranges
- 1 Cara Cara orange
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups confectioner sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Chocolate sprinkles or candy sprinkles
- Wash the oranges and pat them dry. Slice thinly, and discard the ends.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of granulated sugar and 1 cup of water to a saucepan, and simmer at a medium setting until the sugar has dissolved.
- Raise the heat to a medium high setting and bring the syrup to a boil for a few seconds.
- Put the blood orange slices into the sugar syrup and turn the heat back down so that the mixture is at a simmer. Cook gently for about 45 minutes until the orange slices are soft and translucent.
- Remove the saucepan from the stove, and let the orange slices cool in the syrup until room temperature.
- Remove from the pan and dry on a rack for 3 to 4 hours.
- Add the confectioner’s sugar and heavy cream to a small bowl and whisk to create a glaze with a smooth texture.
- Dip each slice halfway into the glaze. Place it back on the cooling rack.
- Sprinkle the glazed portion with chocolate sprinkles, and allow the glaze to harden. It should take 4 to 6 hours, or overnight.