Chocolate Dipped Lemon Rounds
- 2 large lemons
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups water
- 2 vanilla beans
- 6 ounces dark chocolate
- sea salt
- Add ice and cold water to a large bowl, preferably a metal one, to create an ice water bath.
- Cut the lemon into rounds as thinly as you can. Remove any seeds.
- Add water to a saucepan and bring to a full boil.
- Remove from the heat and add the lemon rounds to the hot water. Let them soften for about 2 minutes, stirring gently once or twice.
- Drain the saucepan and then dip the lemon rounds into the ice water bath for a minute. Drain, and place the lemon rounds on a plate.
- Add the sugar and 2 cups water to a heavy skillet. Bring to a boil and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- When the mixture is clear, reduce the heat to a low setting and add the lemon rounds and vanilla beans.
- Heat without boiling for about 1 hour. The lemon rinds should be translucent.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and, using tongs, transfer the lemon rounds in a single layer. Allow them to cool to room temperature.
- Once the lemon rounds are cool, create your own double boiler by filling a medium sized saucepan about half full with water. Bring to a boil. Now place the chocolate into a heat-proof bowl and place it over the saucepan with water in it. Stir occasionally as the chocolate melts.
- Remove the bowl from the hot saucepan, and dip the lemon rounds half into the melted chocolate.
- Allow to cool on the parchment paper.
- Sprinkle with sea salt as the chocolate cools.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.