Citrus & Dark Chocolate Fruit Cake
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 cups chopped dried dates
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup currants
- 1 cup brandy
- 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 oranges
- 1 lemon juice & finely zested
- 1 lime juice & finely zested
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger finely grated
- 2 cups light brown sugar loosely packed
- 5 large eggs
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1/4 cup walnuts chopped
- 6 ounces dark chocolate 70% cocoa or more chopped
- Combine the raisins, dried apricots, dates, cranberries, and currants wiht the brandy in a bowl.
- Refrigerate for at least 24 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and lightly grease and flour a 12-cup tube or Bundt cake pan.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and salt to a large bowl and stir to sift together. Take 2 tablespoons of the flour mixture, and mix in with the brandy-soaked dried fruit. Set aside.
- Add the citrus juices to a small separate bowl. You should have about 3/4 cup.
- In a third bowl, beat the butter until fluffy. Add the sugar, ginger and citrus zest, beating until fluffy and golden.
- Add the eggs one at a time as you continue to beat.
- Fold half the flour mixture into the butter-egg mixture, along with the juices. Fold to blend well.
- Add the remaining flour mixture along with the dried fruits and the walnuts, folding the batter over until it is just combined.
- Transfer the cake batter into the prepared pan and bake about 50 to 60 minutes. A clean knife inserted into the center should come out clean.