Citrus Soaked Chicken Skewers
- 3 pounds boneless chicken cut into cubes
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 large Limoneira® orange zest & juice
- 1 Limoneira® lemon zest & juice
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons Shaoxing wine
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 scallion thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 inch ginger minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Place the chicken pieces in a shallow dish, and sprinkle with salt, white pepper and baking soda. Toss to cover, cover the dish and refrigerate while you make the marinade.
- Add the orange & lemon juice and zest, maple syrup, chicken stock, wine, vinegar, hoisin sauce, and sesame oil to a small saucepan. Heat gently, stirring until the syrup has dissolved – do not bring to a boil.
- In another saucepan, heat a neutral vegetable oil, and cook the scallion, garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes for about 5 minutes, until fragrant. You don’t want to brown it at this point.
- Remove from the heat, and combine the contents of both saucepans, stirring to blend.
- Uncover the chicken dish, and pour the marinade/sauce over the chicken pieces. Reserve some sauce for grilling.
- Cover the chicken, and refrigerate at least two hours, and overnight if you wish.
- When you’re ready to grill, and you are using wooden skewers, you will want to soak them in water for about 20 minutes to prevent burning.
- Brush the grill lightly with oil and bring to a medium high flame. The best strategy is to cook on a higher grill shelf, or on the edges – i.e. indirectly and not right over the flame or burner.
- Turn often as you cook, brushing with any leftover sauce.
- Cook 7-10 minutes per side, until thoroughly done.