Cold Grapefruit & Avocado Soup
- 1 leek, well rinsed and chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh ginger finely grated
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1/3 cup cucumber peeled, seeded & diced
- 2 Limoneira® Haas avocados peeled & pitted
- 1 Limoneira® Star Ruby grapefruit segmented with juice
- 1 Limoneira® lime freshly squeezed
- Kosher salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium high setting, and saute the leeks for 3 to 5 minutes, until transparent.
- Add the garlic and ginger, and continue to cook for another 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock, and bring to a boil. When it’s bubbling, cover and lower the heat, and allow to simmer for 30 to 40 minutes, until reduced by about half.
- Allow the broth to cool to room temperature.
- When it’s cooled, pour it into a blender along with the avocates, grapefruit juice and segments, cucumber and lime juice.
- Puree until smooth, and add salt to taste.
- Serve chilled.