Creamy Lemon Apple Turkey Pot Pie
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup thickly sliced carrots
- 3 leeks cut into rounds
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 cups cooked turkey cut into chunks
- 1 large unpeeled tart apple cored & cubed
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 package frozen puff pastry defrosted
- 1 pinch egg. beaten with aof salt
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Measure the stock, carrots, and leeks into a large pot. Simmer at a medium setting for 5 to 7 minutes, until carrots begin to soften. Remove vegetables, and reserve stock separately.
- Add the butter to a large pot over a medium-high setting. Stir in the flour as the butter melts, and stir as the roux browns slightly, for about 3 minutes.
- Stir as you add the reserved stock, tarragon, and lemon zest. Bring the sauce to a boil as you stir constantly. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for about 5 minutes until the sauce is very thick and smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper, and stir in the vegetables, cooked turkey, apple cubes, and lemon juice. Blend thoroughly, and pour the pie filling into an 8” x 10” baking dish. Create a slight mound in the center.
- Roll out the puff pastry to about 1/4” thickness in a rectangle the size of your baking dish plus about a 1/2” around the sides.
- Brush the edge of the baking dish with water and lay the pastry over it, crimping and sealing the edges.
- Brush the top with the egg mixture, and cut a steam vent into the top of the pie.
- You can use any leftover pastry to decorate the top or edges of the pie.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. The pastry should be golden brown, with the mixture bubbling hot inside.