Creamy Lemon Turkey Rice Soup
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 small onion chopped finely
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 1/4 cup flour
- 5 cups turkey broth
- 2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup long grain rice
- 2 1/2 cups chopped cooked turkey
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil chopped
- Kosher salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1 lemon juiced and zested
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup fresh cilantro minced
- Add the butter to a heavy dutch oven and saute the onion, chopped carrots and celery over a medium low setting for about 3 to 5 minutes. The vegetables should be softened, but not starting to brown.
- Sprinkle the flour over the vegetable mixture, and stir to coat evenly.
- Pour in first the milk, and then the turkey broth, slowly as you stir continuously.
- Measure in the uncooked rice to the pot. Cover, and cook for about 20 minutes, or until the rice is tender.
- Add the turkey, basil, salt, and pepper. Stir together.
- Allow the soup to simmer for 5 minutes to combine the flavors.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in the lemon juice and zest, and chopped cilantro, just before serving.
- Garnish with lemon slices if desired.