Crispy Baked Tofu With Cara Cara Orange Sauce
- 15 ounces extra firm tofu cut into cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Chinese five-spice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- salt pepper, and garlic powder, to taste
Cara Cara Orange Glaze
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil or other vegetable oil
- 2 garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- juice and zest of one Cara Cara orange
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 tablespoons vegetable broth
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- chopped scallions
- sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Add the Chinese five-spice, cornstarch, salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste to a medium sized bowl.
- Add the tofu to the bowl and toss them to coat.
- Place the tofu cubes in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes in the oven. The tofu should be crisp.
- While the tofu bakes, add the Cara Cara orange juice and zest, vinegar, soy sauce, honey, and broth to a small bowl. Mix thoroughly.
- Heat the sesame oil in a skillet on a medium setting and add the garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes. Sauté for about 1 minute.
- Add the orange mixture to the saucepan and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Mix cornstarch with about an equal amount of water to make a paste. Stir it into the sauce, continuing to stir until it thickens. Once the sauce has reached the consistency you want, turn off the heat.
- When the tofu is ready, take it out of the oven. Toss the tofu and sauce together to coat thoroughly.
- Top with chopped scallions and sesame seeds and serve.