Making your own soaps gives you a little more control over how many chemicals you are exposed to in your daily life. Harsh chemicals can dry skin and leave it stripped of natural oils.
The fresh, invigorating scent of grapefruit and aromatic rosemary are mixed together in this luscious soap mix. We use a goat’s milk soap base that is gentle and nourishing to skin. You’ll love the scent that envelops you every time you wash up, and the way it leaves your skin feeling soft.
- Note: Use the melt-and-pour type of soap base for this recipe. You’ll make enough to fill three or four standard size soap moulds.
10 ounces goat’s milk soap base* (see note)
1 grapefruit, zest only
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
10 drops grapefruit essential oil
4 drops rosemary essential oil
- Cut the soap base into small cubes, and place in a double boiler. (You can create one with a heatproof bowl inside a small saucepan, or microwave it.)
- Melt it gently at a low setting to avoid burning.
- Once the soap has melted entirely, add the remaining ingredients.
- Stir gently until only just incorporated, and remove from the heat.
- Pour into soap moulds, and leave on a flat surface at room temperature for about four to six hours to set.
- Once they’ve set, you can remove them from the moulds, and wrap in paper.