DIY Lemon Extract
- 6 large lemons
- 1 cup of vodka
- 1 clean 8-ounce jar with a lid
- Wash and dry the lemons. Use a sharp knife or a vegetable peeler to cut off the peel. Try to cut it in long ribbons, cutting only into the yellow peel, and avoiding the white pith.
- Add the peels to the jar, and then cover with vodka. Be sure that the peels are entirely submerged.
- Screw on the lid securely, and shake the jar thoroughly.
- Place it in a cool, dark area for 6 to 8 weeks.
- For the first week, shake the jar every two days. After the first week, shake it once or twice per week.
- When it has reached the desired strength, strain out the zest, and store the extract in a clean bottle.
- Store in a dark cabinet, or in the fridge.