Frito Misto with Lemon, Veggies & Seafood
Fritto misto simply means "mixed fry" and that's just what this delicious and fun Italian faovrite consists of. Lemons, vegetables, and seafood are dipped in a light batter and fried. Served with a flavorful aoili, it's a fun dinner. If you're having a casual party, it's a great way to get everyone in the kitchen and start the festivities by eating each batch as it becomes ready.
Course Appetizer, Appetizers, Main Course, Main Dish
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups semolina flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 lemons thinly sliced
- 12 large shrimp shelled and deveined
- 1/2 pound squid or baby octopus tentacles sliced into 1/2-inch rings
- 1 small fennel bulb sliced lengthwise 1/8 inch thick
- 2 ounces shiitake mushrooms torn into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh sage leaves
- Canola oil or peanut – for frying
- 2 lemons in wedges for serving
Lemon Garlic Aoili
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 lemon zest & juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic minced
- Kosher salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
Measure the buttermilk in one bowl.
In another large bowl, add the flours, baking powder, and salt. Sift together to blend well.
Heat about 2-3″ of oil in a large skillet.
Divide the lemon, veggies and seafood about into quarters. Add a quarter to the buttermilk, then dip in the flour mixture to coat. Fry in the hot oil (350°F) for 3 to 5 minutes, until golden brown and soft inside.
Remove from the oil, and drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with salt.
Transfer to a platter and serve sprinkled with parsley, sage, and with aoili and lemon wedges to squeeze over.
Repeat for each batch.
Frito Misto with Lemon, Veggies & Seafood2021-03-172021-04-01https://limoneira.wpengine.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/limoneira-corp-logo_blk.pngLimoneirahttps://www.limoneira.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/fritto-misto.jpg200px200px