Goat Cheese & Greens with Cara Cara Orange Vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoons mild honey
- 2 Cara Cara Oranges juiced & zested
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 8 ounces goat cheese
- 3 cups mixed salad greens
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Add the honey to a small saucepan over a medium-high setting. Heat until the honey begins to foam, and reduce heat, cooking for an additional 4 to 5 minutes. Swirl the pan now and then. When the honey begins to brown slightly and caramelize, it’s done.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat, and pour in the Cara Cara orange juice. Stir until the honey dissolves in the juice.
- Now add the orange zest, and stir together.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl and allow it to cool.
- When it returns to room temperature, use a whisk to add the vinegar, seasonings, and oil. The dressing should be thickened, and thoroughly blended.
- Refrigerate until the salad is ready.
- Refrigerate the goat cheese for a couple of hours before you begin, so that you can easily slice it into 8 rounds with a sharp knife. Set aside, and allow the cheese to return to room temperature as you prepare the rest.
- Add the pine nuts and breadcrumbs to a food processor, and pulse until they are thoroughly combined. Pour the mixture into a shallow bowl or lipped dish.
- Take the goat cheese rounds and gently press them into the mixture so that it sticks on all sides. Place them on a plate, cover, and return them to the fridge for about 15 minutes until firm again.
- Heat olive oil in a heavy skillet over a medium setting. When the oil is hot, add the goat cheese medallions, browning them in batches if necessary.
- Cook for about 1 minute, then flip gently to cook for another minute on the other side. They should be lightly browned, and slightly warmed in the middle. As you are finished with them, place on a baking sheet and in the oven at 200F as you prepare them all.
- Add the greens to a salad platter, and place the goat cheese medallions on top.
- Drizzle with vinaigrette, and serve.