Greek-Style Lemon Spinach Rice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1 cup medium-grain white rice
- 1 2/3 cups chicken broth
- 2 lemons zest & juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound fresh spinach rinsed
- 1 teaspoon dry mint
- 2 tablespoons chopped dill
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- lemon slices to serve
- Heat the butter in a heavy skillet or saucepan over a medium low setting. As it melts, add the shallots, and saute until they begin to turn golden brown, or about 3 minutes.
- Add the rice to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, for another 2 minutes. The rice grains should look opaque.
- Turn the burner to low, and add the broth and half the lemon juice, stirring constantly. Cover and cook for about 15 minutes, until the rice is tender.
- While the rice is cooking, chop the spinach and discard any of the tough ends.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet, and wilt the spinach along with the remaining lemon juice and lemon zest, dry mint, and dill.
- After the rice has been cooking for about 10 minutes, stir in the spinach and seasonings, and continue to cook.
- When the rice is done, and you are read to serve, stir in the pine nuts, and top with feta. Garnish with lemon slices to squeeze on as needed