Grilled Citrus & Herb Stuffed Whole Fish
- 4 small whole fish about 1lb each
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 Limoneira® orange thinly sliced
- 1 Limoneira® lemon thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Light the grill, or preheat your grill if you are cooking indoors.
- Cut the citrus slices into half moons.
- Sprinkle the inside of the fish cavities with salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide the herbs and citrus slices between the fish, and stuff each of them.
- Rub the outside of the fish with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Sew the fish shut by making three knots with heavy gauge thread or butcher’s twine – one near each end, and one in the middle. They don’t have to be very tight – just enough to keep the stuffing inside.
- Grill the fish over the highest possible heat. Cook for about 15 minutes in total, turning once about halfway through.
- The fish is done when the outside is browned and crispy, and the flesh inside is cooked through – only just.
- Garnish with lemon wedges and parsley.
- Serve immediately.