Grilled Ruby Grapefruit and Chicken Salad with Candied Nuts
- 1 tablespoon crystallized ginger finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups mixed unsalted nuts pecans, almonds, and walnuts
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 ruby grapefruits
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons grainy Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon fresh chives minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups mixed salad greens
- 2 cups cooked chicken cut into bite size pieces
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees, and use parchment paper to line a baking sheet.
- Add the nuts to a mixing bowl.
- Blend the ginger, salt, honey, and nutmeg together in a food processor.
- Pour the ginger mixture over the nuts, and stir until they are well coated.
- Transfer to the baking sheet and sprinkle with sugar, turning them over to coat as evenly as you can.
- Bake in the oven about 20 minutes, stirring them once to turn over. They should be a golden brown.
Dressing & Salad
- Preheat a barbecue to a medium-high heat.
- Cut both grapefruits into halves.
- Use 1 tablespoon of olive oil to brush lightly on the cut sides of the grapefruits.
- Take 1 tablespoon of honey and drizzle it over the grapefruits.
- Place the cut side down on the grill, and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Turn the grapefruit halves on their side and grill for another 2 minutes or so.
- Remove from the grill and set on a plate to cool.
- Squeeze the juice from one half of one grapefruit (only) into a bowl. Add the rest of the olive oil and honey, mustard, chives, salt, and pepper, and whisk thoroughly to combine.
- Add the salad greens, chicken, feta, and nuts to a large bowl.
- Separate the remaining grilled grapefruit halves and add them to the salad bowl.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad and serve immediately.