Homemade Lemon Pepper Spice Mix
- 5 Limoneira lemons
- 1/4 cup black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon dehydrated garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- Preheat the oven to 200 °F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Use a sharp knife to remove the lemon zest, taking care to leave the white pith behind.
- Place the strips of zest you’ve cut on the parchment paper in a single layer.
- Let them dry out in the oven for about 2 to 3 hours. Check them frequently after about the first 2 hours – they should be completely dried but not browned.
- Process the dried lemon zest and peppercorns in a high-powered blender, specialty spice grinder, or by hand in mortar and pestle until all the peppercorns have been broken, and the texture is still a little coarse.
- Add the salt, garlic, basil and rosemary, and pulse a few times until they’ve reached the desired textured.
- Store in an airtight container.