Indian-Style Lemon Broccoli Rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3 shallots thinly sliced
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 2 dried red chillis chopped
- 1 Limoneira® lemon zest & juice
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Kosher salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 2 cups broccoli broken into florets
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Heat the oil in a large skillet at a medium setting.
- Add the cumin seeds, and sauté for about 3 or 4 minutes, until they are very fragrant and have darkened.
- Add the shallots and garlic, and continue to cook for another 3 to 5 minutes, until translucent.
- Add the lemon zest and chopped red chillis, and sauté for another minute or two.
- Measure the rice into the pan, and stir in the turmeric. Season with salt and pepper to taste as you cook for another minute, stirring constantly.
- Continue to stir as you pour in 1 1/2 cups of vegetable broth, cream, and lemon juice. Reserve 1/2 cup of broth.
- Bring the pan to a boil, stirring occasionally. When it comes to a boil, cover, turn the burner to low, and allow it to simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, until the liquid has been absorbed. Check it every 5 minutes or so, and add a little of the reserved broth if it gets too dry before it’s fully cooked.
- Add the broccoli florets after the rice has been cooking for 10 to 15 minutes – about 5 minutes before it’s done, so it doesn’t overcook.
- Remove from the heat, and toss a bit with a fork.
- Serve immediately.