Indian-Style Lemony Cauliflower & Potatoes
- 3 tablespoons neutral oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3 shallots chopped
- 5 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 tablespoons ginger grated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 large yellow-fleshed potatoes
- 1 small cauliflower
- 2 small tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 lemon zest & juice
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped
- Cut the cauliflower into small florets. Wash and cut the potatoes into small cubes.
- In a heavy bottomed pot, heat the oil at a medium high setting, and add the cumin seeds, stirring for a few seconds until they sizzle, and you can begin to smell their odour.
- Add the shallots, and sauté for 5 to 7 minutes, until golden.
- Add the garlic and ginger, and continue to sauté for another minute or two.
- Mix in the chopped tomatoes, cumin powder, curry powder, and turmeric, salt, and lemon zest. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes, until the tomatoes are soft, and the oil has begun to separate from them.
- Add the potato cubes and cauliflower. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Turn the heat to a medium low setting, cover, and cook for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring once or twice in between. The goal is to soak up any liquid, but if it gets too dry before it’s done, you can add a little water to keep from sticking.
- When the vegetables are tender but not too soft, add the lemon juice and garam masala, seasoning with salt to taste.
- Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and serve.