Kale Caesar with Goat Gouda, Avocados and Homemade Croutons
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon worcester sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 1/2 cup parmesan
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 2 cups dry crusty bread cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 head kale chopped into thin ribbons
- 1 large beefsteak tomato chopped
- 1 large avocado chopped
- 1/4 cup freshly grated goat gouda
- In a food processor, add the egg, lemon juice, garlic, Worcestershire, red pepper, mustard, anchovy, black pepper and parmesan. Allow to process until frothy. Add the oil to a microwave safe bowl, microwave for 1 minute or until very hot and steamy. While the food processor is running, very, very slowly add the oil and continue to process until dressing has emulsified, about 3 minutes. Place the dressing in a container with a lid and refrigerator until chilled, about 1 hour (can be made up to 3 days ahead of time).
- If the bread you are using for croutons is fresh, place on a baking sheet and dry out in a 250 oven for 10 minutes.
- In a skillet over medium high heat, melt the butter. Add the prepared bread cubes and cook, tossing occasionally, until browned, about 5 minutes.
- In a bowl, add the kale, tomato and avocado. Add the dressing and toss to coat, salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with goat gouda and croutons.