Lemon Basil Parmesan Gougères (Cheese Puffs)
- 1 cup water
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 large eggs
- 1 lemon zested
- 3 scallions finely chopped
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil finely chopped
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper freshly ground
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the water, coarse salt, butter, and cayenne pepper to a heavy 4-quart saucepan. Turn heat to a medium high setting. Bring to a boil, stirring, until the butter has melted.
- Remove from heat and quickly stir in the flour.
- Return to the burner, and cook, stirring, for another 2 minutes, or until the dough begins to stick together and pull away from the sides of the saucepan.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat. Using a wooden spoon, stir in 4 of the eggs one at a time. The dough should be smooth in texture and look shiny.
- Stir in the scallions, Parmesan, scallions, and lemon zest. Season to taste with Kosher salt and black pepper.
- Spoon the mixture into a piping bag, cutting a 1/2 inch opening. Pipe the dough into 1 inch rounds on the baking sheet.
- Take the remaining egg and add 1 tablespoon of water in a small bowl. Beat together until smooth. Brush the glaze on top of each of the gougères.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, and serve right away.