Lemon Berry Meringue Bites
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon Limoneira lemon juice
- 1 cup coconut sugar
Lemon Berry Cream
- 1 recipe
Limoneira Classic Lemon Curd
- 3/4 cup mascarpone cheese
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 lemon zest only
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup berries
- 1/2 cup berries
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
Meringue Nests (1-2 Hours Before)
- Pre-heat oven to 300 °F, and line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Beat the egg whites either with a whisk or a mixer until the texture is bubbly, and soft, frothy peaks form.
- Beat in the lemon juice, and then begin to add the sugar a couple of spoonfuls at a time as you continue to beat.
- By this time, the mixture should be forming peaks that are quite stiff, and can stand by themselves.
- Transfer the meringue gently into a pastry bag. If you don’t have one, fold a sheet of parchment paper into a triangle, and cut the pointed small end to the desired size.
- Squeeze (pipe) out the meringue nests on the baking sheets, beginning with a small circle as the base.
- Build with layers of circles on top of each other – two or three should be enough to create a small cup or nest.
- Bake in the oven for about 10 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to 250 °F, and continue baking for another 10 to 15 minutes, up to 20 depending on the size. They are done when they’re hard, easy to lift off the parchment paper, and have just begun to get a golden coloring.
- Turn off the oven, and open the door, but do not remove the baking sheets.
- Let them cool inside the oven for at least an hour, and up to overnight.
Lemon Berry Cream
- In a large bowl, measure the mascarpone, and use a fork or the back of a spoon to smash it until the consistency is smooth.
- Stir in the honey and lemon zest until thoroughly blended. You can add more honey to taste.
- Add the Limoneira lemon curd, and stir until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, beat the whipping cream and sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Fold the whipping cream into the lemon curd mixture.
- Stir in the berries last.
- Place the berries in a bowl, and dust with the powdered sugar.
- When the meringue shells are ready, assemble them on a large baking sheet.
- Spoon in dollops of the lemon berry cream, and top each with a handful of sugared berries.
Note: #2 Note that you’ll want to use one recipe of our Limoneira Classic Lemon Curd for this recipe. You can easily make it up to five days in advance and store it in the fridge until you’re ready.