Lemon Butter Cream Frosting
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 4 1/2 cups icing sugar
- 1 lemon zest & juice
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk full fat
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
One hour before:
- Take the butter from the fridge and set it out at room temperature. It’s easiest to work with if somewhat, but not fully, softened.
- Note: Make sure the lemon zest is finely grated.
When you're ready:
- Beat the butter with either a mixer or a wire whisk until creamy and smooth in texture.
- Add the lemon juice and zest, and continue to beat until well combined.
- Blend in the coconut milk and salt.
- Add the powdered icing sugar last, beating slowly at first until well combined.
- Once the ingredients are well combined, continue to beat until the texture is light and fluffy.
- At this point, you will want to refrigerate for at least 30 to 60 minutes before frosting your cake or cupcakes. If it’s too stiff when you take it out of the fridge, you can add another tablespoon or 2 of coconut milk. If it’s too thin, blend in a little more sugar for bulk.
- You can keep it in the fridge, tightly covered, for up to a week.