Lemon Caesar Salad
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest finely grated
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 garlic cloves finely minced
- 5/8 teaspoon kosher salt divided
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper divided
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/3 cups French bread cubes 3/4-inch each
- 1 pound chicken breasts halves skinless & boneless
- 3 hearts of romaine lettuce coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh Parmesan cheese shaved
- Add the minced garlic to a small bowl, and mash it into a paste.
- Add the lemon zest and juice, and Dijon mustard. Whisk together until thoroughly blended. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and continue to stir.
- Reserve about 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil and set aside. Add the rest little by little to the lemon/mustard/garlic mixture, stirring with a whisk as you do. The dressing should thicken.
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil to a skillet and heat over a medium-high setting. Add the French bread cubes and sprinkle with about 1/8 teaspoon salt. Cook and stir until golden brown and crunchy, about 4 to 6 minutes. Set aside.
- Brush the chicken breast halves with the remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Place on a broiler rack about 4-5-inches from the heat for about 12 to 15 minutes, turning once halfway through.
- Once the chicken is thoroughly cooked, remove from the broiler and allow it to cool about 5 to 10 minutes. Slice crosswise into about 1/4-inch slices.
- Place the romaine lettuce into a large bowl. Drizzle with the dressing and toss to coat. Sprinkle with cheese, and toss again to distribute evenly.
- Divide the salad into four and distribute onto plates. Top each with a quarter of the croutons and a quarter of the cooked chicken slices.