From cooking to garbage, day to day living can involve many activities that create unpleasant odors. Especially in modern cities, where more and more of us live in condos or apartments, where it’s not just our our daily living, but those of many others that can contribute to bad smells. That’s why air fresheners are a big business – but are you really freshening the air by spraying it with a chemical cocktail and artificial fragrances?
This simply DIY lemon air freshener works, and it’s made from very simple ingredients. Why do lemons make such a good air freshener? It’s science.
- Lemons have an astringent scent, which tends to clear the air.
- The citric acid in the lemon and lemon peel neutralizes compounds such as amines, which are the substances that make fish smell so pungent, for example.
- They don’t just mask bad odors – they get rid of them.
Here’s the recipe:
1/8 cup baking soda
1/2 cup of lemon juice, freshly squeezed
2-3 drops lemon essential oil
2 cups hot water
- Measure the baking soda into a clean bowl.
- Pour in the hot water, and stir to dissolve.
- Add the lemon juice, and lemon essential oil. Stir together thoroughly.
- Allow the mixture to cool to room temperature.
- Pour the air freshener mixture into a clean spray bottle.
- Shake well whenever you use it.
- Spritz where you need it.