Lemon DIY Dishwashing Liquid
- 4 medium lemons
- 1 1/2 Plus 2 cups Water
- 4 ounces white vinegar
- 1 cup Kosher salt
- • Cut the lemons – including the pith and peel – into chunks about 1/4 inch thick. Remove all seeds. You should have about 2 cups worth.
- • Place the lemons into a small saucepan with 1 1/2 cup of water.
- • Bring to a boil slowly over medium heat and allow to simmer for about 20 minutes. There should be less water, and the mixture should be a little syrupy, with the lemons very soft. Stir frequently, adding more water as needed.
- • Pour the lemons and liquid into a blender and add the other 2 cups water. Blend at a high setting until the mixture is very smooth.
- • Strain the liquid back into the saucepan.
- • Add the vinegar and salt and stir thoroughly.
- • Bring to a boil at at medium setting and cook for 10 to 15 minutes. The mixture should thicken a little – something like applesauce.
- • Allow it to cool completely in the saucepan. Stir if you notice any crust forming on the top (it will be due to the salt.)
- • Store in a glass container. It will make a gel.
- • Use about 3 tablespoons for a large load.