Lemon, Garlic & Herb Beans
- 1 1/2 cups dried beans Italian butter beans, lima or gigante beans
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil divided
- 4 garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 2 scallions finely chopped
- 1 large Limoneira® lemon zest & juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon tarragon chopped
- 1 tablespoon oregano chopped
- 2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley chopped
- Rinse the beans, and place them in a large cooking pot. Cover with water and soak, covered, overnight.
- Drain the beans and rinse off the water they’ve soaked in. Clean the cooking pot.
- Add the beans back to the pot with the bay leaves and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil over a high setting. Once they’re boiling, reduce heat and simmer, covered, until tender or about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Drain the cooked beans and discard the liquid.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet. Add the garlic, and saute for 1 or 2 minutes.
- Add the scallions, and cook for another 1 or 2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add the lemon zest and juice, and season with salt and pepper.
- Now add the drained beans back into the mixture, along with the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil.
- Stir gently to combine the ingredients for about a minute, then add the fresh tarragon and oregano. Stir together just until heated.
- Remove from the heat, and transfer to serving dish or plates.
- Garnish with chopped parsley.