Glycerin is a natural substance that is moisturizing and also has antimicrobial properties, making it ideal for soaps. Pure vegetable glycerin can be purchased from many sources, including online. Add lemon and a bit of starch to thicken the mixture, and it’s perfect for hair.
NOTE: These shampoos, like other DIY recipes that don’t use sulfates, won’t suds up like the commercial versions you may be used to.
Simple Lemon Glycerin Shampoo
1/2 cup lemon juice
2 teaspoons starch
1/4 cup glycerin
- Add the lemon juice and starch to a saucepan over a medium-low setting. Heat for 3 to 5 minutes, until the liquid thickens.
- Allow it cool, and add the glycerin.
- Shake before each use.
- Use on wet hair and rinse thoroughly.
- Brush your hair once it’s dry for maximum shine.
Clarifying Lemon Shampoo
This shampoo uses gentle Castile soap that will clean without stripping away natural oils. This formulation is good for oily to normal hair types.
1 cup distilled water
4 teaspoons glycerin
2 teaspoons Castile soap
1 lemon, juice only
3 drops lemon essential oil
3 drops rosemary essential oil
- Use a funnel to add all the ingredients to a clean bottle.
- Screw on the cap, and shake to mix thoroughly.
- Shake before each use, and store in a cool place.