Lemon Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 1 lemon sliced very thin with a sharp knife
- 2 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup basil chopped
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter softened
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 8 slices Italian-style bread
- Using a very sharp knife, slice the lemon thinly, and remove any seeds.
- Combine the feta, lemon zest, and basil in a small bowl, and mix together.
- In a separate, small bowl, combine the butter and Parmesan cheese to form a spread.
- You will be making four sandwiches. Brush the Parmesan mixture on one side of each of the pieces of bread. This will be the outside – the side that is cooked against the skillet.
- Assemble the sandwiches in layers – first, a layer of mozzarella (using half,) then the lemon slices, third, the feta herb mixture, then the last half of the mozzarella, before topping it with the second slice of bread.
- Heat a large skillet to a medium high temperature. Grill the sandwiches on one side until the Parmesan is browned, and the cheese melting, then flip over to brown the other side.
- Serve immediately.