Lemon Herb Mussels
- 4 lbs mussels small to medium sized
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 shallots thinly sliced
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1- inch ginger minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lemon zest & juice
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil minced
- Rinse the mussels thoroughly, and discard any that have already opened, even if just by a small crack.
- Add the butter, shallots, garlic and ginger to a large skillet over a medium high setting. Sauté as you stir for 3 to 5 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Add the lemon juice and zest, wine, basil and about half the parsley. Set aside the rest for now.
- Cook until the mixture come to a boil.
- Stir the mixture together, place the mussels in the skillet and close the lid.
- Cook for 10 to 15 minutes, until they open. At this point, you’ll want to discard any mussels that have not opened.
- Remove the mussels from the skillet for a moment, and cover to keep warm.
- Turn the heat up to medium high, and cook and stir the sauce to reduce it for a few minutes until you get the desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Add the mussels back into the pan and cover, turning off the heat. Let it sit over the still hot burner for a minute to heat with all the flavors together.
- Divide the mussels between four bowls, and spoon any remaining sauce over them.
- Garnish with reserved parsley, and serve with bread.