Lemon Herb Pistachio Bread
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon instant yeast
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 lemon zest & juice
- 1 cup pistachio nuts chopped
- 1 1/2 cups room temperature water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Combine the flour, salt, yeast, herbs and lemon zest in a large bowl. Whisk together until thoroughly blended.
- Stir the water and lemon juice together, and then add to the dry ingredients. Stir in the pistachio nuts last.
- The dough will be thick and chunky. You want it to be just barely wet throughout – it’s okay to add a spoonful or two if you need to.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let the dough rest at room temperature overnight (12 to 18 hours).
Ready to Bake:
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place a large Dutch oven (6-quart, preferably enamel coated) in the oven for about 30 minutes to heat up.
- The dough should be doubled in size at least, and puffy with small bubbles in it.
- Carefully empty the bowl onto a floured surface. DO NOT KNEAD. Shape it into a ball gently, with flour coating the outside. Place it on a piece of parchment paper, and then place the paper inside the heated Dutch oven.
- Bake, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Remove the Dutch oven cover, and bake for an addition 10 to 15 minutes, until the crust is nicely browned.
- Remove from the Dutch oven and set on a rack
- Brush with olive oil, and allow to cool for about 2 to 3 hours before eating.