Lemon & Herb Vegan Mushroom Gravy
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 shallots finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 Limoneira® lemon zest & juice
- 2 cups mushrooms thinly sliced
- 1/2 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 sprig oregano chopped
- 1 sprig thyme chopped
- 1 sprig rosemary chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- Sea salt to taste
- Black pepper freshly ground
- Add the oil to a skillet over a medium high setting, and saute the garlic and shallots for about 5 minutes, until softened. Sprinkle in the lemon zest, and cook for another minute or two.
- Add the chopped mushrooms and a pinch of salt, and cook for about 8 to 10 minutes. The mushrooms should be softened, with some of the liquid reduced. Add the soy sauce, and cook for another minute.
- Stir in the oregano, thyme, and rosemary, and cook for a minute or two, until fragrant. Lower the heat to medium.
- Sprinkle the flour evenly over the mushroom mixture, and stir so it coats everything. Cook for 1 or 2 minutes.
- Stir in the vegetable broth and lemon juice, blending in the flour as you do.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat the gravy to a simmer, using a whisk to stir often. Reduce the heat to a low setting, and simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring frequently, until thickened.