Lemon Lentil Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium white onion peeled and diced
- 2 medium carrots diced
- 5 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 cups red lentils rinsed and picked over
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 lemon zest & juice
- Sea salt to taste
- Black pepper freshly cracked to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 1/4 cup parsley chopped
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt to serve
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot.
- Sautee the onions and garlic for about 5 minutes, until the onions are softened.
- Add the garlic and tomato paste, and continue to cook for another minute or two.
- Pour in the vegetable stock, and stir in the cumin, cayenne pepper, and curry powder. Add the lentils.
- Cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, until the lentils are soft.
- If you like a smooth texture, you can puree the soup at this point with a blender or food processor. If you do, return it to the pot for the next step.
- Add the lemon juice and zest, and salt and pepper to taste, stirring to blend in the flavors.
- Now add the spinach, stirring until the leaves are wilted and blended into the soup.
- Sprinkle with parsley, and serve with a dollop of plain yogurt on top