Lemon Risotto with Peas
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 cups fresh peas
- 1 lemon juiced and zested
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 tablespoons soft goats cheese crumbled
- Heat the chicken broth at a medium setting.
- While the broth warms, heat the oil in a heavy saucepan at a medium setting. Saute the red onions for about 3 minutes, until they begin to soften.
- Stir in the minced garlic, thyme, and Arborio rice. Continue to cook for about another 5 minutes, until the rice is lightly toasted.
- Pour the wine into the rice mixture. Stir as it cooks into the rice – it should take about 4 minutes until it has absorbed the liquid.
- Now add the hot broth a little at a time, stirring constantly. Let each dollop of broth absorb into the rice completely before adding more. It will take about 20 minutes in total. Be careful the temperature doesn’t get too low, or the rice can get soggy. Too high, and the broth will evaporate too quickly.
- Add the peas to the rice with the last splash of broth.
- When all the liquid has been absorbed, remove the saucepan from the heat.
- Add the lemon juice and zest, and stir to combine.
- Add the Parmesan, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide between four plates as a side dish, adding a spoonful of the goat’s cheese on top of each to serve.