Lemon & Spice Chickpea Salad Sandwiches
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1/4 cup red onion chopped
- 1 plum tomato diced
- 1 lemon zest & juice
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- Salt to taste
- Butter lettuce leaves
- 1 cucumber thinly sliced
- Bread of choice for 4 sandwiches
- Drain the chickpeas well, and add them to a large bowl.
- Using the back of a fork, smash the chickpeas to the desired texture—larger or smaller chunks.
- Chop the red onion and plum tomato to a similar size, and add to the chickpeas, along with the lemon zest. Stir to blend.
- In a small bowl, add the tahini, lemon juice, curry powder and Cayenne pepper. Stir to combine, and then add salt to taste.
- Assemble the sandwiches with a slice of lettuce, cucumbers, and the chickpea salad.
- Alternatively, you can chop the cucumber and add them to the salad before assembling the sandwiches.
* Variation: Substitute 1 teaspoon of chopped fresh dill for the curry powder and Cayenne.