Lemon & Spice Plum Cake
- 2 cups prune plums
- 1 Limoneira® lemon zest & juice
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup plain yogourt
- 2 tablespoons golden sugar
- With a sharp knife, cut the plums in half lengthwise, and pull out the pits.
- Place the prunes in a small bowl, and sprinkle with lemon juice. Toss lightly to coat.
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F, and lightly grease an 8- or 9-inch springform cake pan. If you don’t have a springform, you can simply use a regular cake or pie pan, and cut the cake directly from the pan rather than removing it.
- In a large bowl, add the flour, baking powder, salt, and spices. Blend together with a whisk.
- In a second mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until the texture is light a fluffy.
- Add the egg as you continue to beat.
- Add the yogourt, and beat until the batter is smooth. It should be reasonably thick.
- Spoon the batter into the pan, and use the back of a spoon to smooth it evenly into place.
- Take the plum halves, and place them into the batter into a circular, spiralling pattern- or whatever your imagination creates.
- Sprinkle the top, especially the fruit, with 1 tablespoon golden sugar.
- Bake in the oven for 50 to 60 minutes, until a clean knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- About 5 minutes before you remove it from the oven, sprinkle the last tablespoon of golden sugar onto the top.
- Remove from the oven, and allow it to cool for about 20 to 30 minutes before removing the springform, or cutting a slice.