Lemon, Spinach & Feta Bread
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup fine semolina
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup milk lukewarm
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Limoneira® lemon zest only
- 1 bunch oregano finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper freshly ground
- 1 cup feta well drained & crumbled
- 1 cup cooked spinach chopped
- Add the flour, semolina, yeast, sugar, and salt to a large bowl and toss together to blend.
- Make a well in the center, and add the warm milk and olive oil.
- Mix together slowly with a wooden spoon or a mixer until a soft dough forms.
- Add the lemon zest, black pepper and oregano, and knead into a smooth dough.
- Add the spinach as you continue to knead.
- Make the dough into a large rectangle, and sprinkle the feta on top. Fold it over and over until the feta is incorporated.
- Lightly oil a large bowl, and place the dough into it. Cover with a sheet of plastic wrap, and let it rise for about 2 hours. It should double in size.
- Gently punch the dough down, and then form into a loaf shape.
- Place inside a greased 8″ x 4″ loaf tin, and cover with plastic wrap. Let it rise another 30 minutes. It should double again in size.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F, and bake the loaf for 10 minutes.
- Reduce the oven to 350°F and bake for another 20 minutes.
- The loaf should sound hollow when tapped, with a golden brown finish.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.