Lemon Sponge Cake
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 lemon zested
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F and get a 9-inch angel food pan (or “tube” pan) ready.
- Separate the eggs into two bowls. You’ll need a larger one for the yolks.
- Beat the yolks with a whisk until they thicken and become the color of lemons.
- Beat in the sugar little by little until it is thoroughly mixed.
- Add the lemon juice and lemon zest and beat well.
- Next, add the flour little by little, beating well after each addition.
- In the second bowl, beat the eggs whites until they are white and frothy.
- Add cream of tartar and salt.
- Continue beating the egg whites until stiff peaks form, but they are not dry.
- Fold the whites into the egg yolk mixture.
- Pour the batter into the ungreased pan.
- Bake for 1 hour or so. The cake should spring back if you touch the surface.
- Once the cake has cooled, run a knife along the outer edge, and invert onto a cake plate.