Lemon Vegetable Rice
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1 medium carrot grated
- 1/2 cauliflower cut into florets
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin ground
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper freshly ground
- 1/2 teaspoon salt to taste
- 3 1/2 cups vegetable broth or chicken
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice soaked
- 2 lemons zest & juice
- 4 scallions chopped
- 3 sprigs fresh mint
- Add the oil to a deep skillet or large heavy pot over a low setting.
- Add the garlic, onion, and grated carrot. Saute for about 5 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add the cauliflower florets – each no more than 1-inch at the thicker end. Season with cumin, salt, and pepper.
- Stir and saute another 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the broth, lemon zest and juice to the pot, and stir to combine. Bring to a boil over a medium setting.
- When the liquid is boiling, add the rice, stirring as you do. Reduce heat and cover, allowing it to simmer for about 20 to 25 minutes. The liquid should be completely absorbed.
- Fluff before serving, and sprinkle with mint and scallions.