Lemony Lamb Curry
- 3 tablespoons ghee
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme chopped
- 2 onions chopped
- 4 shallots chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic crushed
- 3 inches fresh ginger grated
- 2 pounds lamb stew boneless
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper freshly ground
- 1 tablespoon turmeric ground
- 1 tablespoon cumin ground
- 1/2 cup plain yogourt
- 1 Limoneira® lemon cut into slices
- 1 chicken stock
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped
- Add the ghee to a heavy skillet or Dutch oven over a medium heat, along with the cinnamon stick and fresh thyme. Cook for a minute or two.
- Next, add the onions and shallots, and saute until lightly browned, or abotu 7 to 8 minutes, stirring frequently.
- When the onions have started to caramelize, add the ginger and garlic, and continue to cook as you stir.
- When the garlic and ginger are fragrant, add the lamb, and cook, stirring frequently to brown all sides.
- When the lamb is browned, add the tomatoes, Cayenne pepper, paprika, garam masala, salt, pepper, turmeric and cumin. Cook and stir for another 2 or 3 minutes until the flavors begin to blend.
- Stir in the yogurt, then the chicken stock. Add the lemon slices, and bring the mixture to a boil. Cover and lower the heat. Simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, until the meat is the desired level of tenderness. It should be fork tender, with most of the liquid absorbed.
- Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and serve over basmati rice.